CPRE Hampshire Hedge Volunteer
The Hampshire Hedge project centres around the connecting up of existing, planting new and rejuvenating of, old hedgerow in Hampshire, connecting up the New Forest and the South Downs National Park. We are looking for volunteers to help us with this work.
Volunteer Role: Hedgerow Creation Volunteer, Hedgerow Heroes
Volunteer Manager: Hedgerow Project Officer, Ellie Banks
Where you will be based: Planting sessions at a mixture of Copythorne and Shawford and Compton area
Our Hampshire Hedge project centres around the connecting up of existing, planting new and rejuvenating of old hedgerow in Hampshire over the next 3 years, connecting up the New Forest and the South Downs National Parks. This will provide connectivity and increased habitat for wildlife, as well the many benefits to farming and ecosystem services that we all benefit from. The project hopes to enhance the quality of the landscape, grow local community engagement, and raise awareness of the importance of hedgerows for wildlife, climate, and sustainable farming. This national campaign was launched in 2021 to extend the UK hedgerows network by 40% by 2050.
Planting and restoring hedgerows can prevent soil erosion, increase biodiversity by providing wildlife habitat for many species of birds, insects, butterflies and small mammals and can increase the overall aesthetic appeal of a landscape. Hedgerows also reduce flooding and the pollution going into our waterways, as well as removing carbon from the atmosphere reducing the impacts of climate change.
Through volunteering with us you will be helping to look after our fantastic countryside and ensuring the success of this vital project for CPRE Hampshire.
We provide out-of-pocket travel expenses should this be required.
Why we want you
We’re looking to build a team of volunteers for our local Hedgerow Heroes project, to enhance the quality of the landscape and grow local community engagement and support for CPRE.
You’ll join a group of enthusiastic volunteers helping to carry out a range of tasks to support hedgerow restoration, such as hedge-laying, ground clearance and tree planting. There may also be surveying and general conservation tasks to help restore and monitor the wildlife and landscape value of the countryside.
Every Thursday, from November until March this winter, we will be planting hedgerows to build the Hampshire Hedge network in the centre of Hampshire. We will also be running a monthly weekend session to plant hedgerows. Through volunteering with us you will be helping to look after our fantastic countryside and ensuring the success of this vital project for CPRE Hampshire. Volunteers must be over the age of 16.
What you will be doing
- Practical, hands on tasks e.g. clearance, digging, planting, hedgelaying
- Monitoring and surveying of existing hedgerows to assess “hedge health”
- Biodiversity monitoring through ecological surveys of hedgerows before and after enhancement
- Volunteering alongside others as part of a team
- Representing CPRE ‘on the ground’ to the public and passers-by
The skills you need
- A keen interest in the countryside and environmental skills
- The ability to undertake moderate physical activity
- Willingness to follow health and safety guidance, including use of tools and personal protective equipment
- A flexible approach to volunteering availability as tasks will be on various days/times
- Ability to make your own way to and from the task site
What’s in it for you
- Meet like-minded people and enjoy being part of a team
- Help hedges thrive and grow in your area
- Enhance your CV by developing new skills and gaining valuable experience
- We will provide you with relevant instruction and supervision around hedgerow planting and management to undertake this role
- We’ll support you to develop and be safe in your volunteering role and provide you with all relevant health and safety information
- We’ll give you a reference for your future work or volunteering
- Get involved with social events and workshops online and face to face
Hedge planting dates
- Thursday 23rd
- Thursday 30th
- Thursday 7th
- Thursday 14th
- Thursday 21st
- Thursday 4th
- Thursday 11th
- Sunday 14th ** WEEKEND SPECIAL**
- Thursday 18th
- Thursday 25th
- Thursday 1st
- Thursday 8th
- Thursday 15th
- Saturday 17th ** WEEKEND SPECIAL**
- Thursday 22nd
- Thursday 29th
- Saturday 2nd ** WEEKEND SPECIAL**
- Thursday 7th
- Thursday 14th
- Thursday 21st
- Thursday 28th
Planting days will be either at Shawford/Compton or Copythorne, at each end of The Hampshire Hedge. Please apply below and more details will be sent closer to the time. Alternatively, email email@example.com to be signed up to our regular hedgerow enewsletter.
Timings are from 10am till 3pm.