CPRE Hampshire's Hedgerow Heroes
CPRE Hampshire have been involved in planning and undertaking a series of hedgerow initiatives across the county.
We have involved and worked with hedgerow experts, volunteers, local communities, primary and secondary school students, young farmers and rural businesses. Our aim is to help promote and educate on their enormous value to our countryside, to share skills and knowledge and to work to re-instate and replant hedgerows around the county.
This page provides information on our past initiatives, what’s happening currently and what’s planned for the future.
Hedgerow Heroes Initiative 2022/23
The CPRE Hampshire hedgerows team are reflecting on the work undertaken so far and are making lots of new exciting plans for much more to come. We hope to work across Hampshire engaging more volunteers, schools and local communities than ever! Keep your eyes peeled for more information soon …
Hedgerow Restoration Project in South West Hampshire – Autumn 2021 to Spring 2022
CPRE Hampshire are keen to support the restoration of hedgerows and recently led a project in collaboration with the Meyrick Estate. The project took place from Autumn 2021 to Spring 2022. The site is just south of Bransgore, on the Western edge of the New Forest and close to the Burton Common Site of Special Scientific Interest. 1.7km of new hedgerows were planted along historical boundaries and a further 1.3km of existing hedgerow, which has become degraded over the years, has been gapped up. This was the first stage in the restoration of some 50km of hedgerow across the estate.
Working with a number of partners, drawing on local expertise and using it as an opportunity to educate and engage the local community on the enormous value of the humble hedgerow, there were a number of expected benefits to the hedgerow project. .
The project not just enhanced the hedgerows but also supported local jobs and offered great opportunities for the local community to connect, understand and enjoy the landscape around them.
Take a further look at the full list of objectives specifically for the project.
View our photographic timeline to see the site and the work undertaken for yourself.
- Apr 2022 – Young Farmers get in on the hedgerow action
- Apr 2022 – CPRE Hampshire welcome University Centre Sparsholt students to visit the site of the Hedgerow Heroes initiative on the Meyrick Estate
- Feb 2022 – FREE online talk about the wonder of hedgerows – still available to view on our You Tube channel
- Feb 2022 – Highcliffe School plant their own hedge with visit from local MP Sir Christoper Chope
- Jan 2022 – Hedgerow Heroes Meyrick Estate initiative survey results are in
- Jan 2022 – ‘State of the Hedges’ initial report for Meyrick Estate
- Jan 2022 – what it’s like volunteering as a Hedgerow Hero
- Jan 2022 – restoring hedgerows for wildlife
- Nov 2021 – Bransgore Primary School visit the Meyrick Estate to undertake their own hedgerow surveys