SHUV (South Hampshire's Unheard Voices
SHUV (South Hampshire's Unheard Voices) was formed in 2006 as an alliance of community groups (see list below) that was originally set up to fight the Regional Assembly's plan to build 80,000 homes in South Hampshire. Recently (mid-2010) it was reactivated in response to proposals for strategic development areas at Fareham and Hedge End (see below).
"Stop Fareham New Town"
Would you like to see a new town, roughly the size of Petersfield (7,500 houses), plonked in between Wickham and north Fareham? That is what will happen if Fareham Borough Council gets it way. This would in-fill the only piece of open countryside between Wickham and Fareham.
SHUV launched a postcard campaign in Autumn 2010 with the aim of stopping this development. But on 18th November Fareham Borough Council approved its local development framework core strategy, which includes the North Fareham Strategic Development Area (SDA). The campaign is gaining momentum under its new title "Stop Fareham New Town". Find out how you can support the campaign!
For further information:
- Fareham SDA Campaign pages - gives the latest information on the campaign, and copies of letters written by CPRE to proposers and policy makers.
- Follow-up letter to Rt. Hon. Grant Shapps MP - following a meeting of the SDA Community Liaison Group, this letter expresses the feeling that the local community does not feel that its concerns are recognised, or worse, that they are recognised but ignored by Fareham Borough Council (12 October 2010).
- Initial letter to Rt. Hon. Grant Shapps MP - a letter to the MInister for Housing and Local Government calling for proper local consultation on the SDA proposals (21 Sept 2010).
Caroline Dibden and Claire Smith, organisers of SHUV, at its inauguration on 16th May 2006. They are standing in front of an area that would be built on.
SHUV covers the same area as PUSH, the Partnership for Urban South Hampshire, a coalition of councils from Havant to Southampton.
See the full announcement of the formation of SHUV on our archived website.
This was the original action plan from 2006. With the recent revokation of the South East Plan and the new government's changes to the planning system, it is currently being reviewed and updated in light of the ongoing development threats in South Hampshire.
1. Act as an information forum about the South East Plan's impact on the South Hampshire Sub Region.
2. Prepare a strategic coordinated SHUV response to South East Plan.
3. Prepare general points people can include in their own localised responses to South East Plan.
4. Work with BBC Radio Solent, and television stations re. strategic overview.
5. Work with local press and radio re local angles.
6. Assist people with their responses, provide advice as required.
7. Gain public support for SHUV.
8. Gain as many members as possible from the whole sub-region area.
Catherington Village Residents Association
East Hampshire Badger Group
Horndean Parish Council
Gosport and Fareham
Catisfield Village Association
Funtley Village Action Group
Gosport & Fareham Friends of the Earth
Portchester Civic Society
Wallington Village Community Association
Portsmouth & Havant
Emsworth Residents Association
Langstone Village Association
Purbrook and Widley Area Residents Association
Bramshaw Parish Council
Campaign to Protect Rural England - Hampshire Branch (CPRE Hampshire)
Hampshire Greenfield Alliance
This page last updated 21st February 2011.