Press Release: 24th April 2012
Have a go on an electric bike:
Saturday 28th April (10am - noon) from Buriton Village pond
CPRE Hampshire is organizing a "try out session" of electric bikes in Buriton this Saturday 28th April from 10-12noon. The aim of the session is to promote the new Electric Bike Network in the South Downs and to encourage people to try one out. Anyone over 14 years old can have a go - free of charge. In addition, local tourism businesses such as pubs and B&Bs are invited to come along and find out more about how they can become involved in the Network. The idea, which is already successful in other parts of the country, is that electric bicycles open new parts of the countryside to people who are less agile - allowing more people to climb hills and experience views that may normally be restricted to only the fittest cyclists.
The morning coincides with the Open Day at Buriton Chalk Pits organised by Buriton Parish Council and Queen Elizabeth Country Park, which have now been transformed into a nature reserve where there will be activities for all the family to enjoy, including guided walks and working displays of traditional coppice crafts.
Camilla Swiderska, CPRE Hampshire transport campaigner and local manager of the Electric Bicycle Network said:
"Its great to be working with such an enthusiastic local community. Currently the nearest electric bike Hire Point is Cyclelife in Petersfield, just a couple of miles away. With the new traffic free section of the Shipwrights Way between Petersfield and Buriton, due to open very soon, the village is well placed to become a key part of the Network."
Details of the Buriton Chalk Pits Open Day can be found here:
Further details of the South Downs Electric Bicycle Network are available from the CPRE Hampshire website:
The nearest Electric Bike Hire Point is currently Petersfield. Please contact Martin Brown at Cyclelife Petersfield on 01730 266644 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: The Electric Bicycle Network was launched in the South Downs at the beginning of April to coincide with the start of the tourist season. Please see link below for BBC footage:
- Ends -
Notes to editors
- The Electric Bicycle Network has been developed by Community Interest Company Electric Travel CIC to give many more people the opportunity to get onto two wheels whatever their fitness or however hilly it is. Electric bicycles provide an invisible boost whenever the rider needs it and significantly widen the accessibility of cycling. It is Electric Travel's aim to give as many people as possible a fantastic first experience on an electric bicycle by developing a national network of hire and charge points. The current networks in the Lake District, Peak District, Devon and South Downs provide hire and charge points in beautiful UK tourist destinations linked by scenic routes. Electric Travel works with local businesses to develop each network and the scheme offers benefits in reducing car journeys, accessible exercise, and a boost to the local tourist economy. More information about the Electric Bicycle Network can be found at www.electricbicyclenetwork.com and on Electric Travel at www.electrictravel.org.uk
- A detailed background note about the Electric Bicycle Network is available here (PDF).
- CPRE Hampshire strives to promote the beauty, tranquillity and diversity of the countryside of Hampshire by the sustainable use of land and other resources in town and country, and encouraging the biodiversity and well-being of rural communities. CPRE Hampshire is working in partnership with Electric Travel to provide local management and expertise of the South Downs Electric Bicycle Network.
- BBC South Today film from summer 2011 (CPRE Hampshire trial with Cyclelife):
For all media enquiries, please contact:
Keren Burney, media & communications officer, CPRE Hampshire
Tel: 01730 894123 Mobile: 07876 780065
For information on CPRE, please contact:
Anthony McEwen, Director, CPRE Hampshire
Tel: 01962 779185 Mobile: 07717 296025
- Hire and charge points
- EBike Network overview
- Transport toolkit
- Electric bike trial
- Bike trial results
- Green cycling up for award
- Medstead ebike trial
- South Downs pages
- South Downs & Central Group
- BBC South Today news clip
- Electric Bicycle Network
- Electric Travel
- Local transport white paper (PDF)
E-BIKE HIRE POINTS:
CPRE Hampshire is not responsible for the content of external websites