Walks and Talks Programme
During the last few years we have had a 'Walks and Talks' programme. This provides a mixture of social events, indoor meetings and visits to places of interest. Planning for our 2014 'Walks and Talks' programme is well under way. Our first event was a talk by CPRE President Sir Andrew Motion (see below). As we cofirm other events they will be added to the calendar.
The Country Land and Business Association run a countrywide annual programme of events and talks, which are related to rural business and the countryside. CPRE members are very welcome to join activities - see the CLA events list (external link).
Our next event is a talk by CPRE expert Caroline Dibden on Fracking in Hampshire
Thursday 10th April 2014, 7.30pm for 8pm. Elizabeth Hall, Hook
For further details and how to book see press release (28th Feb 2014).
For further information and to make a booking, please contact Jo George on 01962 779185. As an alternative to booking via phone, there is also a booking form (PDF) that you can complete and send in with your payment.
Other events that are now confirmed are:
- Fri 16th May - AGM at Itchen Abbas Village Hall, followed by a talk by Karin Taylor, Head of Land Use and Planning at the National Trust
- Fri 6th June - Itchen Abbas Village Hall: talk by Dominic Cole, Chairman of the Garden History Society.
Full details will be provided nearer the time and in our Spring/Summer newsletter.
Walks And Talks Helpers
Do you know an interesting or unusual Hampshire walks? Do you know a walk that is not usually open to the public? Or Would you like to guide a walk?
We are looking for volunteers to help us with our annual walks and talks calendar. Often the best walks are known by the local people, who have unparalleled historical and local knowledge of their area. Please let us know of any walks that you feel CPRE members would be interested in. We would love to have local advice and help with our walks for our 2013 calendar.
For more information, please telephone Jo George on 01962 779185.
Sir Andrew Motion recently visited CPRE Hampshire. As well as an evening lecture he also met local schollchildren and launched a poetry competition...
- Fri 11th Oct: The Amazon - An Environmental Crisis for us all; lecture by Professor Sir Ghillean Prance. Read press release and flyer
- Sun 22nd Sep: 'All Aboard' - a musical afternoon of sea-faring tradition. Read press release and poster (PDF)
- Thurs 4th July 2pm: A visit to Avington Park, including a barrel organ recital - read visit report.
- Wed 26th June 2pm: Sustainable farming for wildlife - Trinley Farm Estate Visit, near Smannell just outside Andover -read visit report.
- Tues 11th June: A look at a rural business - visit to a wildflower farm near Basingstoke.
- Tues 28th May: Annual General Meeting, Holiday Inn Winchester. A new president, awards and an interesting talk - read press release (3 June) - also annual review 2012-13.
- Tues 21st May: Avebury Manor. Coach trip leaving Andover at 8.30am.
- Thur 9th May: An exclusive visit to Rotherfield Park, Gardens, reception (sponsored by Alastair Nugent Vintner) and a talk: 'Churchill's sculptor' by Lady Aurelia Young - read report and post-visit press release.
- Thur 9th May: The Future of Water Resources in Hampshire. A visit to Testwood Lakes - read visit report.
- Thurs 11th Apr 1pm: Trip to Minley Manor (near Yately) - flyer (PDF) and press release
- Wed 27th Mar: Bombay Sapphire - at Laverstoke Mill. A visit to the new Bombay Gin UK operations headquarters.
Our events archive gives you a good flavour of events of the last few years, including reports of some of the visits.
This page last updated 3rd March 2014.