Events - Autumn 2014
During the last few years we have had a 'Walks and Talks' programme. This provides a mixture of social events, indoor meetings and visits to places of interest. Our 'Walks and Talks' programme has finished but there are a few Autumn social events still to go - see below...
The Country Land and Business Association run a countrywide annual programme of events and talks, which are related to rural business and the countryside. CPRE members are very welcome to join activities - see the CLA events list (external link).
Forthcoming 2014 Events
There is a one page flyer (PDF) giving more details of our Autumn events. To make a booking please contact Janet Dornan on 01962 841897 to clarify details or to book.
- Fri 7th Nov - Quiz Night, East Meon Village Hall
Note - the race night originally scheduled for 21st November has been postponed until next March. More details later.
We are looking for some help with our events. We usually hold two large events a year and there are a number of smaller district events you could get involved in. Activities could include, help setting up the event, advertising, logistics on the evening such as setting up, serving drinks or selling raffle tickets. It doesn’t matter how much time you have to offer, we’d love to hear from you. We will very much work around you and any reasonable expenses can be claimed back.
To find out more or to offer help, please telephone Janet Dornan on 01962 841897 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Recent Events (2014)
Full details of our 2014 'Walks and Talls' events are on the events pages (PDF) of our Spring/Summer newsletter (note change of date for East of Eden lecture). An overview is shown below.
Wed 3rd Sept - Visit to Oaks Havant crematorium to see ancient woodland and rare heathland species.
Thurs 24th July - tour and visit to Bramshill House and walled garden - pictures of the visit coming soon
Thu 3rd July - A tour of The Wildlife Trust’s restoration project at Abbotts Barton streams in Winnall Moors Wildlife Reserve - see details and photo
Wed 25th June - Visit to Butterfly Conservation Site at Magdalen Hill Down, near Winchester. 10.30am. Bring a picnic.
Wed 11th June - Visit to Greywell Hill (CPRE members only). Organised by North East Hampshire Group. From 10.30am, followed by lunch.
Tue 20th May - Coach trip to the Petworth Estate (National Trust). Picks up from Andover 8.30am, Romsey 9.30am.
Fri 16th May: AGM at Itchen Abbas Hall. The chairman's report described the year as one of change and challenge. The AGM was followed by a talk by Karin Taylor, Head of Land Use and Planning at the National Trust. Read the chairman's report.
Tues 10th Apr: CPRE expert Caroline Dibden talked on Fracking in Hampshire at Elizabeth Hall, Hook. She went through the geology, exploration and extraction and described the implications for environment, water supplies, infrastructure etc. Click on the thumbnail for a copy of Caroline's slides (PDF:4mb) or read the talk synopsis
Thurs 27th Feb: Sir Andrew Motion visited CPRE Hampshire. As well as an evening lecture he also met local schoolchildren and launched a poetry competition.
- Fri 11th Oct: The Amazon - An Environmental Crisis for us all; lecture by Professor Sir Ghillean Prance. Read press release and flyer
- Sun 22nd Sep: 'All Aboard' - a musical afternoon of sea-faring tradition. Read press release and poster (PDF)
- Thurs 4th July 2pm: A visit to Avington Park, including a barrel organ recital - read visit report.
- Wed 26th June 2pm: Sustainable farming for wildlife - Trinley Farm Estate Visit, near Smannell just outside Andover -read visit report.
- Tues 11th June: A look at a rural business - visit to a wildflower farm near Basingstoke.
- Tues 28th May: Annual General Meeting, Holiday Inn Winchester. A new president, awards and an interesting talk - read press release (3 June) - also annual review 2012-13.
- Tues 21st May: Avebury Manor. Coach trip leaving Andover at 8.30am.
- Thur 9th May: An exclusive visit to Rotherfield Park, Gardens, reception (sponsored by Alastair Nugent Vintner) and a talk: 'Churchill's sculptor' by Lady Aurelia Young - read report and post-visit press release.
- Thur 9th May: The Future of Water Resources in Hampshire. A visit to Testwood Lakes - read visit report.
- Thurs 11th Apr 1pm: Trip to Minley Manor (near Yately) - flyer (PDF) and press release
- Wed 27th Mar: Bombay Sapphire - at Laverstoke Mill. A visit to the new Bombay Gin UK operations headquarters.
Our events archive gives you a good flavour of events of the last few years, including reports of some of the visits.