Walks and Talks Programme
During the last few years we have had a 'Walks and Talks' programme. This provides a mixture of social events, indoor meetings and visits to places of interest. Our 2014 'Walks and Talks' programme is reaching the end of the summer outdoor events, but there are still a few to go - see below...
The Country Land and Business Association run a countrywide annual programme of events and talks, which are related to rural business and the countryside. CPRE members are very welcome to join activities - see the CLA events list (external link).
Full details of all 2014 events will found on the events pages (PDF) of our Spring/Summer newsletter (click on image at right). To make a booking for one of these events, then please print out and complete the booking form on the first page and send it with your cheque to our county office. You can also contact Janet Dornan on 01962 841897 to clarify details or to book.
- Thurs 24th July - Private tour and visit to Bramshill House and walled garden. 6.30pm. Please note - the date was erroneously given as Fri 25th in the Walks and Talks flyer
- Wed 3rd Sept - Visit to Oaks Havant crematorium to see ancient woodland and rare heathland species. 10.30am.
- Fri 17th Oct - Quiz Night, Littleton Village Hall.
- Fri 7th Nov - Quiz Night, East Meon Village Hall.
We are looking for some help with our events. We usually hold two large events a year and there are a number of smaller district events you could get involved in. Activities could include, help setting up the event, advertising, logistics on the evening such as setting up, serving drinks or selling raffle tickets. It doesn’t matter how much time you have to offer, we’d love to hear from you. We will very much work around you and any reasonable expenses can be claimed back.
To find out more or to offer help, please telephone Janet Dornan on 01962 841897 or email email@example.com.
Recent Events (2014)
Thu 3rd July - A tour of The Wildlife Trust’s restoration project at Abbotts Barton streams in Winnall Moors Wildlife Reserve - see details and photo
Wed 25th June - Visit to Butterfly Conservation Site at Magdalen Hill Down, near Winchester. 10.30am. Bring a picnic.
Wed 11th June - Visit to Greywell Hill (CPRE members only). Organised by North East Hampshire Group. From 10.30am, followed by lunch.
Fri 6th June - Itchen Abbas Village Hall: 'East of Eden', lecture by Dominic Cole, Chairman of the Garden History Society. Reception: 6.45pm; talk: 7.30pm - see press release.
Tue 20th May - Coach trip to the Petworth Estate (National Trust). Picks up from Andover 8.30am, Romsey 9.30am.
Fri 16th May: AGM at Itchen Abbas Hall. The chairman's report described the year as one of change and challenge. The AGM was followed by a talk by Karin Taylor, Head of Land Use and Planning at the National Trust. Read the chairman's report.
Tues 10th Apr: CPRE expert Caroline Dibden talked on Fracking in Hampshire at Elizabeth Hall, Hook. She went through the geology, exploration and extraction and described the implications for environment, water supplies, infrastructure etc. More later...
Thurs 27th Feb: Sir Andrew Motion visited CPRE Hampshire. As well as an evening lecture he also met local schoolchildren and launched a poetry competition.
- Fri 11th Oct: The Amazon - An Environmental Crisis for us all; lecture by Professor Sir Ghillean Prance. Read press release and flyer
- Sun 22nd Sep: 'All Aboard' - a musical afternoon of sea-faring tradition. Read press release and poster (PDF)
- Thurs 4th July 2pm: A visit to Avington Park, including a barrel organ recital - read visit report.
- Wed 26th June 2pm: Sustainable farming for wildlife - Trinley Farm Estate Visit, near Smannell just outside Andover -read visit report.
- Tues 11th June: A look at a rural business - visit to a wildflower farm near Basingstoke.
- Tues 28th May: Annual General Meeting, Holiday Inn Winchester. A new president, awards and an interesting talk - read press release (3 June) - also annual review 2012-13.
- Tues 21st May: Avebury Manor. Coach trip leaving Andover at 8.30am.
- Thur 9th May: An exclusive visit to Rotherfield Park, Gardens, reception (sponsored by Alastair Nugent Vintner) and a talk: 'Churchill's sculptor' by Lady Aurelia Young - read report and post-visit press release.
- Thur 9th May: The Future of Water Resources in Hampshire. A visit to Testwood Lakes - read visit report.
- Thurs 11th Apr 1pm: Trip to Minley Manor (near Yately) - flyer (PDF) and press release
- Wed 27th Mar: Bombay Sapphire - at Laverstoke Mill. A visit to the new Bombay Gin UK operations headquarters.
Our events archive gives you a good flavour of events of the last few years, including reports of some of the visits.
This page last updated 16th July 2014.