CPRE Hampshire Countryside Awards
The Countryside Awards, organised by the Campaign to Protect Rural England (CPRE) Hampshire in association with Steve's Leaves, a brand of Vitacress Salads Ltd. Launched in 2007 we aim to recognise significant achievements across the county which support our goal of "standing up for the countryside". Nominations for the 2014 awards closed in July and the winners were announced on 26th September (see below). Details of the 2015 awards will be available in the New Year. The rules for the 2014 awards (below) will serve as a guide for potential applicants.
The winners of the children's poetry competition have also been announced and will be posted here shortly.
2014 Award Winners Announced
On Friday evening, 26th September 2014, teams from 19 shortlisted countryside projects gathered with more than 100 guests at the eighth annual CPRE (Campaign to Protect Rural England) Hampshire Countryside Awards ceremony at Itchen Abbas Village Hall, Winchester.
The Earl of Malmesbury, President of CPRE Hampshire introduced the ceremony and Steve Brine, MP for Winchester presented each of the four category winners with an engraved plaque. Highly commended entires in each category received a signed certificate.
A summary of winners is given below. Further details will be found in the press release announcement (30 Sept).
The winners and highly commended in each category were as follows:
- Rural Enterprise - sponsored by Dutton Gregory solicitors:
- Winner: Blackwood Forest Holidays, a project in woodlands near Winchester
- Highly commended: Piecing Together the Hampshire Food Jigsaw, HC3S Hampshire County Council Catering Services
- Young People - sponsored by Steve's Leaves:
- Winner: Anstey Junior School, Alton for a project on gorwing vegetables
- Highly commended: The Woodland Walk, Kings Worthy Primary School
- Voluntary / Community - sponsored by The Southern Co-operative:
- Winner: Brook Meadow Conservation Group, Emsworth, a balance of conservation and recreation
- Highly commended: Round About Café, Mansbridge, Southampton
- Green Buildings - a new category sponsored by Radian:
- Winner: Avon Tyrrell Boat House in the New Forest
- Highly commended: Otterbourne Wildlife Lodge, Otterbourne Church of England Primary School.
Awards Eligibility and Criteria
This is information is for the 2014 awards but those for the 2015 awards are expected to be similar. Revisit this page in the New Year.
Projects must be within Hampshire. They must also have been completed within three years of the closing date of application.
The Guidance for Applicants 2014 (PDF) gives more examples of the types of quality that are sought for each category. Information about previous award winners could also prove helpful. The YouTube video (click on image right) gives an overview of the scheme with the story of a previous winner.
- Closing date for applications was 5pm on 18th July 2014
- Site visits to finalists are now taking place until mid-September
- The awards ceremony will take place on Friday 26th September 2014.
2013 Award Winners
The 2013 Awards ceremony took place on Friday 27th September 2013. The presentations were made by the Lord Lieutenant of Hampshire, Dame Mary Fagan, DCVO JP. The winners were:
- Andover Trees United, in the Youth Category
- Jodrell Close Wildlife Garden, Horndean, for the Voluntary and Community Category, supported by The Southern Co-operative (TSC)
- Upham Brewery, near Winchester, for their Expansion Project - the Rural Enterprise category, supported by SmithsGore land agents.
A fourth, surprise award was given because the judges were so impressed by the volunteers’ enthusiasm and hard work in creating the Gypsy’s Wildlife Pond, at the Hawk Conservancy Trust.
See Winners 2013 (PDF: 1.1Mb), an article featuring all these winners (first published in Hampshire Views No. 7
There are links in the right hand column to the award winners pages of earlier years.
The Awards Scheme is also being run in conjunction with Hampshire Fare and Hampshire Enterprise Circle
- 2014 Award finalists (Aug 2014)
- Launch press release (31 Mar 2014)
- Guidance for applicants (2014)
- Entry form 2014 (pdf)
- Entry form 2014 (MSWord)
- 2012 award winners
- 2011 award winners
- 2008-9 award winners
- Our vision
- What we do
Guidance and entry forms for the 2014 awards will be provided shortly
2013 WINNERS' WEBSITES: