Bill Bryson at Harting Down - pointing out the landscape of the West Weald that the South Downs Campaign succeeded in getting included within the new national park
South Downs National Park
Successful Outcome to our Campaign!
We celebrated the birth of this new national park at a special reception on 31st March 2010. We were particularly pleased to have succeeded in including the Western Weald within the boundaries. This was the culmination of efforts by other parts of CPRE, including national support from CPRE President, Bill Bryson. CPRE was also a founding member of the South Downs Campaign.
The links below are to some recent articles that describe the last year of the campaign and some thoughts on the challenges ahead.
- The birth of the national park - about the new authority, its aims and challenges.
- A celebration to remember - how CPRE celebrated the occasion on 31st March 2010; a message from Bill Bryson congratulates all involved.
- Result! After 60 years the South Downs has a National Park - an outlining of the campaigning from 2007-9 that resulted in the inclusion of the Western Weald within the new national park.
- Government urged to listen: 10,000 sign petition - a petition handed to Michael Mates, MP for East Hampshire, by the Mayor of Petersfield, Cllr Vaughan Clarke. (Press Release: March 2009)
- Postcard Campaign Gathers Momentum - part of the final push to show to the Government the strong public support for keeping the Western Weald in the new South Downs National Park (Press Release: December 2008)
- A nonsensical boundary - a 2007 article making the case for the inclusion of the Western Weald within the national park.
This page last updated 8th November 2010.