CPRE's major concern is with the English countryside and, among the factors that influence our landscape, farming and rural matters play an important part.
Below are articles on the various aspects of our rural affairs activities as well as links to national CPRE campaigns.
See also the background pages in the press area on rural affairs
Farming & Local Foods
- Local Foods Project Update (April 2008). Jessica Roach, a student from the University of Winchester, explains the plans for local food directories in the Test Valley (april 2008)
- Your Food, The Real Choice. Dr Malcolm Crabtree, the Managing Director of The Leckford Estate, owned by Waitrose,
spoke on this topic at CPRE Hampshire's 2007 AGM. (May 2007)
- Reasons Why We Should Support Farmers. Hugh Saxton reminds us how farming contributes to our local communities, our landscape, our food and can even help us combat climate change. To preserve such benefits we need a flourishing farming industry (Feb 2007).
- Update on Local Foods. In 2004, CPRE sponsored the Farmers' Market category of the Hampshire Life Food and Drink Awards. David Coldwell outlines the benefits of local foods and calls for help in running the 2005 competition (May 2005).
- Local Foods: We Want Your Help in 2004. Stephen Harwood calls for volunteers to judge local foods. He also outlines CPRE's vision on local foods.
- Local Abbatoirs. Why we should care about local abbatoirs, whose numbers have declined significantly as a result of EU legislation (May 2004).
- Local Foods Campaign. CPRE's national campaign to promote local foods. Describes the problem, solutions, what CPRE is doing and gives case studies.
- A Fair Price for Milk. CPRE supports this campaign run by Farmers Guardian, Country Living magazine and Waitrose.
- A Path to Better Rural Services?. Will DEFRA's Pathway to Rural Services deliver effective and efficient public services that meet the real needs of rural communities?
Since previous attempts have failed, Christopher Napier has his doubts.
This page updated 13th April 2007